Part 10: Last Minute Details (OMG I’M SIGNED UP FOR A MARATHON!?!)

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mom, Sophia, Tedy & I all loaded up into the Odyssey and headed up to NOVA!  As we drove I thought of all the things I still had to do before the big day!  I still needed to print out my confirmation e-mail so that I could pick up my race packet.  I needed to print out the ticket for the first time marathoner’s dinner on Friday, October 29th.  I needed to get some sort of long sleeve shirt to wear on race day because I imagined it would be chilly on race day morning.  What about even getting to any of these places?  How do we get there?  When should we leave?  My mind raced about the upcoming race – my biggest race yet!  We got to Nancy’s house that evening, settled in, had dinner and discussed going to the first time marathoner’s event the next day.


Friday, October 29, 2010

The kiddos woke up like a normal weekday but this was not a normal Friday by any means, the Marine Corps Marathon was just two days away now!  The weather was cold and extremely windy so as Dave and Nancy went off to work, my Mom and I decided to stay close by.  We had a fun trip to BJ’s (one of those big buy in bulk stores) and wandered around for a couple of hours!  Then I ran into Target and purchased a grey long sleeve t-shirt for race day.  We ordered take out on the way home from Pei Wei (there are a couple of Pei Wei’s in Nashville and I miss frequenting them) and I thought – Troy is going to be jealous that I got to have Pei Wei for lunch!  That evening Nancy and I ventured to the Metro and into our Nation’s Capital, Washington D.C. for the First Time Marathoner’s Dinner!  We got off at Union Station (if we were there earlier in the day maybe we would’ve seen our Dad) and began to walk to the Hyatt Regency Hotel.  We honestly did not know where we were going – we just had an address – luckily Nancy has an iPhone and pulled up the GPS to figure out how to get there.  We began walking and were going pretty much the right way and as we were walking by the White House we thought, maybe we should ask these guys for directions.  Well those guys must have thought, what in the world are these ladies doing because one of them stepped out and asked if we needed any help.  He was very kind and showed us that where we were trying to go was pretty much across the street (that always seems to happen to me, I’ll be looking for something and boom there it is, right in front of me)!  He wished us well, we thanked him and we were on our way.  We finally arrived and while we waited for the event to begin, we had fun people watching.  Once the doors opened we headed straight for the free food because we had already scoped out the dinner provided which would cost about $8 but it looked nasty – even if I wasn’t a new vegetarian I wouldn’t have ordered it!  Seriously, who thought that feeding wings and sliders to a bunch of first time marathoner’s would be a good idea?!  We feasted on the free appetizers of veges, dips, chips, pita and hummus.  By the way, the hummus was really yummy!  It was Tribe Hummus if you’re a hummus fan I suggest checking it out or if you aren’t sure if you like hummus or not, this is a great one to try out!  Then the “speed dating” began!  They had the room set up with goal times on tables and then they changed the table tents so people would gather by state/region.  Wishful thinking me first went to the under four hours goal time table (this will be discussed more in the marathon day blog) and the race director went around the room talking to people and came up to me!  It was a ton of fun and I met some amazing people!  Then we moved to Virginia (this was a tough decision for me; I never like claiming a state since I was an Army Brat and am now an Army Wife) and played rock-paper-scissors with the people at our table.  They played a bunch of games and gave out a ton of prizes such as Jet Blue tickets and Brooks sneakers, two of the major sponsors of the race.  We didn’t win any of the big prizes but we did get a nice little 1st time marathoner’s pin, bam bam noise makers (Phia is having fun with them), hand sanitizer and stickers.  All in all the night was fun and we met some interesting people!


Saturday, October 30, 2010

Just one more day until the Marine Corps Marathon and we had one major goal to accomplish – go into Washington D.C.’s convention center and pick up our race packets!  I don’t want to go off on a crazy rant but most of you probably know that there was a rally in D.C. that day, it was supposed to be for restoring sanity and geared toward the upcoming mid-term elections; well it was absolutely INSANE!  It took us 3 hours to even get anywhere!  We were only one stop in on the Metro and I had to hit someone with the stroller to get on a train going outbound so that we could go inbound because people weren’t moving to the center of the cars.  It was ridiculous!  Over 3 hours later we arrived at the expo.  Nancy and I went our split to pick up our packets (she ran the 10K), shirts and goodie bags.  I’m still not sure why we had to go to 3 different places to get all of our stuff plus they made a huge deal about the marathoner’s and 10Ker’s goodie bags and Nancy got way more stuff than I did, I just got a ton of ads for other races!  The young marine’s working the expo were entertaining as they talked amongst themselves about some of the ladies.  As we were going through the official gear area we all met up again and I debated getting a jacket or hat or some sort of official gear but that debate quickly ended when I looked at the price tags!  We ventured around the expo picking up free samples and info about other organizations and events.  Nancy bought a couple of packets of GU for race day (they are my favorite, taste like frosting) and I got a new pair of Saucony’s – the guys were great and had fun playing with Tedy and pretending to fit him for a pair of matching shoes!  After wandering around the expo for a while we headed back to the metro and turned around to find food because the line was ridiculous and we didn’t want to deal with the insane “sanity” folks again!  Sadly the day did not go as planned and we didn’t get back until after 8pm!  I didn’t get to eat like I wanted to or take in the proper amount of water or rest or go for a final training run.  What should have been an exciting pre-race-day was pretty much miserable!  When we got back to Nancy’s I took a shower and washed the day away and made final preparations for the big day!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s