A few months ago I got into presenting/plating my food. It was something that Bethenny Frankel mentioned in her books and I have found it to be a ton of fun & it has helped me in many ways. Presenting my food has helped me to enjoy what I cook more than ever before as well as assist in loosing weight. I am happy to say that I am now less than my pre pregnancy weight – accomplished by making slight changes in my diet. Some changes have been more difficult than others of course but all in all it is going well and I am making progress everyday.
I have mentioned Bethenny Frankel’s books in past posts so it should not be a surprise to you that I am going to reference her again in this post. One of the rules in Naturally Thin is to cancel your membership to the clean plate club – this has been the most difficult rule for me! I do well when I am out at a restaurant but not so much when I am at home. So my solution was to find a small plate to present my food on.
Since I do not have TV (just a TV and we have to watch VHS’s – that’s right we still watch VHS’s – and DVD’s) I watch Food Network every chance I get – it is one of my favorite stations! One thing I’ve noticed while watching the Food Network was the style of plates they use when presenting food. They are generally small white square-shaped plates. So I set out to find an inexpensive family friendly version of this plate. It took lot’s of looking but this weekend I finally found them at IKEA! I also finally found silverware – yes silverware, all we had was a mishmash/hodgepodge/whatever you want to call it – a bunch of random forks, spoons & knives collected over the years from various places. So all in all it was a successful trip to IKEA (minus the fact that they didn’t have the step stool I wanted in stock – oh well).
Tonight I used those new plates to present my dinner. Of course I had a salad – romaine lettuce, mini english cucumbers, pink lady apples with a splash of oil & vinegar. I also had a cheese dog with homemade sweet potato fries. Here’s the recipe for those & pics of my yummy dinner as well.
1 hot dog (make sure it’s a kosher hot dog, they are the best out there)
1/4 of a slice of your choice of cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar)
- Wrap the hot dog in a small piece of paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds
- Make a long slit in the hot dog
- place the piece of cheese in the slit
- microwave the hot dog for an additional 15 seconds.
For 2 hot dogs simply double the amount of time – I do not recommend cooking more than 2 hot dogs at a time though, they just don’t come out right if you do.
- I like to make mine waffle style & to do so you need a wavy garnishing tool. After peeling the potato use the wavy garnishing tool to make your fries. As you are cutting turn the potato in the opposite direction with each cut so as to make the waffle style.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- line a pan with aluminum foil and spray in olive oil
- place a single layer of potatoes in the pan and spray with olive oil again
- sprinkle potatoes with italian seasoning
- toss the potatoes so they are well coated with oil & seasoning
- cook for 15 minutes, flip & cook for an additional 15 minutes or until your desired crispness.
- You can follow the same recipe for any other potato I just prefer sweet potatoes – a bit healthier & in my opinion much yummier!